Assembly Bill (AB) 2286 (Feuer, PDF) went into effect Jan. 1, 2009. The law requires all regulated businesses and all regulated local government Unified Program Agencies (UPAs) to use the Internet to electronically report and submit required Unified Program information previously recorded on paper forms. This includes facility data regarding hazardous material regulatory activities, chemical inventories, underground and aboveground storage tanks, and hazardous waste generation. It also includes UPA data such as inspections and enforcement actions.
All businesses must submit and report Unified Program-related information to either the statewide California Environmental Reporting System (CERS), or to the local UPA’s reporting web portal, if provided. For more information about CERS and Unified Program electronic reporting requirements, please go to the CERS Central web site at http://cers.calepa.ca.gov/.
The following documents and links provide UPAs with planning and implementation information to assist in meeting the goal of full electronic reporting.
- Electronic Reporting – Project Implementation Schedule (PDF)
- Electronic Reporting – Project Implementation Timeline (PDF)
- UPA Phased Implementation Schedule (PDF)
- CERS Implementation Guide (PDF)
- UPA Go Live Essentials (PDF)
- Scope of Electronic Reporting requirements (PDF)
- Electronic Reporting Bulletin #1 (PDF) | Bulletin #2 (PDF) | Bulletin #3 (PDF) | Bulletin #4 (PDF) | Bulletin #5 (PDF) | Bulletin #6 (PDF) | Bulletin #7 (PDF)
- Draft Local Agency Electronic Reporting Conversion Plan Temp, 1/28/2010 (PDF)
Statewide Services Contracts
The Data Management Steering Committee, Electronic Reporting Work Group (consisting of UPA representatives), CalEPA, Unified Program regulatory state agencies and business representatives adopted a model for funding local infrastructure improvements. The model provides for a base level of funding per UPA, the use of statewide service contracts through UPAs, grants and a limit to available funding for each UPA.
If you require special accommodation to access any of these documents pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Unified Program at email@example.com.