Frequently Asked Questions

On this page you will find common questions and answers related to CalEPA Boards, Departments, and Offices.

Q: I own or am starting a business in California; where can I find information about required permits and business licenses? A: To assist you in finding the appropriate information for your business, the CalGOLD database provides links and contact information that directs you to agencies that administer and issue business permits, licenses and registration requirements from all levels of government. See CalEPA’s Bill of Rights For Environmental Permit Applicants.

Q: How can I find an EPA ID number? A: Check any EPA ID number by going to the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) website. Search on the ID number to view the facility and manifest information or search for your business name or site address, and that report will show if you have an ID number. When searching, please use minimal information, as too much information may not return the results you want. For example, when searching on an address use the street number and the city. You may need to disable your computer’s pop-up blocker to view the report.

If you do not have Internet access or have additional questions, please contact DTSC’s Telephone Information Center at (800) 618-6942 if calling from inside California or (916) 255-1136 if calling from outside California. When you call and hear the recorded message press 1 and then 3 to reach a technician for assistance. You won’t see newly-issued federal EPA ID numbers on our Hazardous Waste Tracking System for up to six months.

If you would like more information on EPA ID numbers view DTSC ID fact sheet (PDF).

Q: How do I get an EPA ID number for my new business? A: You will need to fill out and submit a Form 1358 (PDF). You will have the option to submit the form via mail, email or fax. You can search on the Department of Toxic Substances Control website to see if your ID number is active or inactive.

Q: How can I find information about asbestos? A: The US EPA has a website devoted to information on asbestos. If you would like to contact a Department of Toxic Substances Control Regulatory Officer call (800) 728-6942. Further information about asbestos can be found on this DTSC Asbestos Fact Sheet (PDF). If you are looking for someone to test for asbestos check in the yellow pages under “Laboratories, Analytical” and “Asbestos Abatement and Removal Services” for certified labs. If none are listed in your local directory, check with your local Air Quality Management District for advice. You can also view the Naturally-Occurring Asbestos page located on the Air Resources Board website for even more information.

Q: How can I find information about mold? A: The Department of Health Services (DHS) is the lead state agency concerning the regulation of mold. DHS has published a very useful webpage that addresses almost all questions you may have about mold.

Q: How can I find information about lead? A: For general lead information go to USA.Gov. If you have questions regarding California’s Lead in Jewelry law check out the California Department of Toxic Substances Control site.

Q: How do I complain about someone who is illegally dumping hazardous materials? A:Submit your complaint online or call the California Department of Toxic Substances Control complaint line at 1-800-698-6942. The complaint line representatives will collect information from you regarding the dumping and they will forward it to the appropriate government entities.

Q: When can I burn in my fireplace at home? A: There are two ways to check before you burn. You can call 1-866-BURNDAY or visit the Air Quality Management District website.

Q: Where can I find information on Underground Storage Tanks (USTs)? A: The California State Water Resources Control Board has a webpage dedicated to information about USTs.

Q: How can I report my customer service experience with CalEPA or its Board, Departments and Office? A: Complete our customer service form (PDF).