Public Records Act Requests

The California Environmental Protection Agency deals primarily with policy, budget, legislative and intergovernmental relations issues and does not perform cleanup or inspection activities.  To ensure you are directing your request to the appropriate entity, please review the resources below.

If you seek information related to a particular facility or site in California, including Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, please visit our Regulated Site Portal. The portal combines information from multiple state and federal data sources, into a single searchable database and interactive map that includes download capabilities. You will find an overview of regulated equipment, materials and activities for each site, such as underground and aboveground storage tanks; hazardous materials and waste; state and federal cleanups; impacted ground and surface waters; and/or toxic materials.

To obtain information, in addition to using the portal, you may contact the agency that conducts inspections and enforcement on a particular site, such as the local Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA). CUPAs perform many environmental regulatory functions and may possess information on inspections and permits.

CalEPA does not respond to Public Records Act requests on behalf of its boards, departments and office: the California Air Resources Board, CalRecycle, the Department of Pesticide Regulation, the Department of Toxic Substances Control, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment or the State Water Resources Control Board. These entities maintain their own records and may be contacted directly.

California Air Resources Board (CARB)

Guidelines for Accessing Public Records

Attn: Public Records Coordinator
CARB Legal Office
PO Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: (916) 322-2884

Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)

Public Records Request Form & Guidelines

Attn: Dona Sturgess, Senior Legal Analyst
1001 I Street, MS-23A
P.O. Box 4025 Sacramento, California 95812-4025

Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC)

Guidelines for Access to Public Records

Attn: DTSC’s Legal Office
HQ PRA Coordinator
1001 I Street, MS 23A
Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: (916) 323-7811
Fax: (916) 323-5542

Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA)

Guidelines for Public Records Act Requests

Attn: Monet Vela
Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment Chief Counsel’s Office
1001 I Street
P.O. Box 4010, MS 25B
Sacramento, California 95812-4010

Fax: (916) 323-2610

Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR)

How to Request Public Records From DPR

Polly Frenkel, Chief Counsel
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB)

Please see SWRCB’s Public Records Request web page for detailed instructions.

For all other CalEPA Public Records Act requests, please send an email to