CalEPA’s boards and departments implement and enforce environmental laws that regulate air and water pollution, toxic substances, the use of pesticides, and waste recycling and reduction. The Office of the Secretary of CalEPA is responsible for ensuring that this enforcement work is consistent, effective, and coordinated across all programs and departments.
CalEPA uses many tools, including education, inspection, and enforcement to achieve compliance. These enforcement program webpages include information on who enforces California’s environmental laws, enforcement training opportunities, and enforcement guidance documents.
CalEPA also manages the following enforcement related programs:
- Makes available Supplemental Environmental Projects in settlement negotiations
- Manages a cross-media enforcement training program
- Coordinates a steering committee focused on multimedia environmental enforcement
- Runs the multi-agency Environmental Justice Task Force
- Administers a grant program that provides funds to train environmental regulators and prosecutors