CalEPA coordinates and compiles information about environmental enforcement training opportunities for state and local inspectors.
CalEPA Basic Inspector Academy
The Basic Inspector Academy (BIA) teaches environmental agency inspectors and other compliance professionals core knowledge and skills, and cross-media awareness needed to conduct quality inspections. To obtain a certificate of completion you must take both the Fundamental Inspector Course (information below) and the 3-day virtual BIA course. Inspectors can register through the California Air Resources Board’s training website after completing the required online prerequisite Fundamental Inspector Course. For more information, see the 2021 BIA booklet (PDF, 195 KB) and 2021 Sample Agenda (PDF, 127KB)
Fundamental Inspector Course
The Fundamental Inspector Course (FIC) is an online course that includes an overview of CalEPA, local agencies, environmental law, environmental science, the role of the environmental inspector, and basic field health and safety. Although the course was designed for new environmental inspectors, members of the public may also find this training helpful. All are welcome to view this self-directed online training. This class is also a prerequisite for attending the BIA. To register, you must create an account on CARB’s training website.
Other Enforcement Training Resources
- Air Resources Board Compliance Training Program
- Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Training for local government (LEAs)
- Department of Pesticide Regulation Enforcement Training
- State Water Resources Control Board Training Opportunities Currently Available
- Western States Project: This regional association promotes the effective enforcement of state and local environmental statutes and regulations with a strong emphasis on criminal enforcement. (The Regional Associations operate the Regional Associations Information Network (R@IN), a password protected web site designed specifically for the environmental enforcement professional.)
- California District Attorneys Association (CDAA): CDAA serves the needs and promotes the interests of California’s prosecutors. It provides a forum for the exchange of information and serves as a source of continuing legal education for its membership.
- California Specialized Training Institute
- EPA National Enforcement Training Institute
- California Hazardous Materials Investigators Association (CHMIA): A nonprofit organization that encourages cooperation and coordination of environmental crime investigations conducted by enforcement and administrative agencies.
- California CUPA Forum