CalEPA coordinates and compiles information about environmental enforcement training opportunities for state and local inspectors.
CalEPA Basic Inspector Academy (BIA)
The BIA teaches environmental agency inspectors and other compliance professionals core knowledge and skills, and cross-media awareness needed to conduct quality inspections. To obtain a certificate of completion you must take both the Fundamental Inspector Course (information below) and the 3-day classroom course. Inspectors can register through ARB’s training website. BIA Information (PDF) | Sample Agenda (PDF)
Fundamental Inspector Course (FIC)
This online course contains an overview of CalEPA Boards, Departments and local agencies, environmental law, environmental science, the role of the environmental inspector and basic field health and safety. Although the course was designed for new environmental inspectors, members of the public may also find this training helpful. You are welcome to view this self-directed online training for your own benefit. This class is also a prerequisite for attending the BIA. To register, you must create an account on ARB’s training website.
Enforcement Training Resources
- Air Resources Board Compliance Training Program
- Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Training for local government (LEAs)
- Department of Pesticide Regulation Enforcement Training
- State Water Resources Control Board Training Opportunities Currently Available
- California Specialized Training Institute
- EPA National Enforcement Training Institute
- California Hazardous Materials Investigators Association (CHMIA)
- Western States Project / Regional Associations Information Network (R@IN)–