Environmental Enforcement Training Calendar
CalEPA coordinates and compiles information about environmental enforcement training opportunities for state and local inspectors.
CalEPA Basic Inspector Academy (BIA)
CalEPA’s Office of the Secretary is responsible for developing a training program to ensure that the Boards and Departments take consistent, effective, and coordinated enforcement and compliance actions to protect public health and the environment. The information presented in the BIA training program is intended to provide baseline knowledge on universal inspection, investigation, and enforcement techniques that support and/or complement existing State and local agency programs. BIA is open to new and existing government-employed regulatory inspectors/investigators who enforce environmental laws and regulations and, tribal enforcement partners.
Inspectors can register for the BIA course through the ARB’s training website after completing the required online prerequisite training, Fundamental Inspector Course.
BIA Information (PDF) | Sample Agenda (PDF).
For a list of available BIA dates, go to the “Environmental Enforcement Training Calendar” linked above.
Fundamental Inspector Course
This online course contains an overview of CalEPA’s boards, departments, and offices as well as environmental law, environmental science, the role of the environmental inspector, and basic health and safety guidance for field staff. While the target audience for FIC is new and existing government-employed regulatory inspectors/investigators who enforce environmental laws and regulations, members of the public and regulated facility owners, operators, and employees may also find the online FIC course to be helpful. To register for FIC, you must create an account on ARB’s training website.
For general questions about BIA or FIC, please contact: Hasti Javid, CalEPA Enforcement Officer.
For questions related to registration for BIA or FIC, please contact the ARB Training Coordinator at email@example.com.
CalEPA Enforcement Training Contacts
- Hasti Javid, CalEPA
- Leisa Bush, Air Resources Board
- Monica De Anda, Department of Pesticide Regulation
- Josilynn Spray, Department of Toxic Substances Control
Other Enforcement Training Resources
- Air Resources Board Compliance Training Program
- Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Training for local government (LEAs)
- Department of Pesticide Regulation Enforcement Training
- State Water Resources Control Board Training Opportunities Currently Available
- Western States Project: This regional association promotes the effective enforcement of state and local environmental statutes and regulations with a strong emphasis on criminal enforcement. (The Regional Associations operate the Regional Associations Information Network (R@IN), a password protected web site designed specifically for the environmental enforcement professional.)
- California Specialized Training Institute
- EPA National Enforcement Training Institute
- California Hazardous Materials Investigators Association (CHMIA): A nonprofit organization that encourages cooperation and coordination of environmental crime investigations conducted by enforcement and administrative agencies.
- California CUPA Forum