About the Grants Program
The California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) is excited to announce the establishment of the new CalEPA EJ Action Grants Program (Program).
CalEPA is administering the Program to provide grant funding to a wide variety of projects. CalEPA administers the new Program as part of its overall mission to restore, protect and enhance the environment, to ensure public health, environmental quality, and economic vitality.
Program solicitation closed Friday, Oct. 13, 2023.
CalEPA is excited to announce the Program is now live and we just completed accepting our first round of grant applications. Please see below for the Program’s guidelines, due dates and timelines, Program application forms and templates, listening session recordings, and FAQ and additional resources. If you have any questions, please contact us at EJActionGrants@calepa.ca.gov.
To support applicants navigating the Program, CalEPA has developed application forms and templates. Applicants are encouraged to read the entirety of the Environmental Justice Action Grants grant guidelines, as the full grant guidelines contain important information about the Program.
Video: Introducing CalEPA’s new EJ Action Grants Program
Important Due Dates and Timelines
- August 29, 2023 – Solicitation Release
- September 27, 2023 – Virtual Application Workshop
- October 13, 2023 – Deadline for Submitting Applications by 11:59 pm PDT
- Early December 2023 – Anticipated Notice of Proposed Award Posting Date
EJ Action Grants Workshop and Virtual Office Hours
Virtual Office Hours
Our virtual office hours have concluded. They were held:
- Tuesday, October 3 (4:00-5:00 PM)
- Monday, October 9 (4:00-5:00 PM)
The EJ Action Grants Application Workshop was held on September 27, 2023.
Application Form and Templates
Examples of Potential Funded Activities
Applicant must propose a project that:
- Supports tribes, community-based organizations, and/or residents;
- Engage in at least one legislatively approved category (emergency preparedness, public health, environmental and climate decision-making, coordinated enforcement); and
- Serve an environmental justice purpose as defined in Section 1.2 of the grant guidelines.
CalEPA encourages applicants to review the 2022 EJ Small Grants recipients for examples of projects that may qualify for the Program.