Tribal Funding Opportunities

The California Environmental Protection Agency and its Boards, Departments and Offices offer various funding opportunities that are eligible to California Native American Tribal governments.

CalEPA Funding Opportunities

In addition to the information provided below, each of our boards and departments has a financial assistance websites. Please also visit:


The Environmental Justice Action Grants Program is structured to provide grant funding to a wide variety of projects intended to lift the burden of pollution from those most vulnerable to its effects: supporting community-based organizations and residents to engage in emergency preparedness, public health, environmental and climate decision-making, and coordinated enforcement efforts affecting their communities. CalEPA is exercising its discretion to focus, within those categories, on projects that meaningfully involve and engage disadvantaged communities to serve environmental justice purposes. 

CA Air Resources Board (CARB)

California Climate Investments. Tribal governments can receive funds to reduce climate pollution through clean transportation, agricultural equipment, clean air initiatives, land conservation projects, and more. The Funding Workbook for All California Tribes walks Tribal leaders and staff through assessing fit between California Climate Investments funding opportunities and Tribal needs and priorities.

Overview of Major California Air Pollution Incentives The CARB programs are designed to help individuals or businesses replace or upgrade old, polluting, cars and trucks with cleaner alternatives or emission control devices. The attached table describes a variety of programs and provides contact information for each. The programs listed on CARB’s “Overview of Major California Air Pollution Incentives, Grants, and Credit Programs” webpage are on-going. However, funding levels for these programs may vary from region to region, or from one provider to another, and most operate on a first come, first served basis.


The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) CalRecycle offers funding opportunities authorized by legislation to assist public and private entities in the safe and effective management of the waste stream. The following grant opportunities are also available to California Native American Tribes.

For more information and/or assistance in understanding the financial and technical assistance opportunities available to Tribes, please contact CalRecycle Tribal Liaison, Tracey Harper at or (916) 341-6531.

State Water Board

Clean Water State Revolving Fund Program. The State Water Board provides financial assistance through various State and federal loan and grant programs to help local agencies, businesses, and individuals meet the costs of water pollution control, development of locally available sustainable water supplies, and cleanup. This is funding made available for local and regional projects.

Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Program. Established by an amendment to the federal Safe Drinking Water Act in 1996, the State Water Board provides financial assistance through low-interest loans, additional subsidy (principal forgiveness), and technical assistance to public water systems for infrastructure improvements to correct system deficiencies and improve drinking water quality for the health, safety, and welfare of all Californians. The Program helps water systems improve drinking water quality for all Californians.

Department of Pesticide Regulation

 The Department of Pesticide Regulation’s (DPR) Pest Management Research Grants Program was established to prevent unanticipated impacts of pesticide use on public health and the environment by funding development of integrated pest management (IPM) systems. DPR’s Pest Management Alliance Grant Program, established in 1997, provides funding for projects that increase implementation and adoption of proven, effective integrated pest management (IPM) practices that reduce pesticide risks to human health and the environment.

Contact the Tribal Liaison listed under Contacts if you have questions or need financial assistance.