The CalEPA Tribal Advisory Committee (TAC) was established in 2010 to discuss environmental issues and projects involving California Native American Tribes. The TAC includes representatives from federally-recognized and non-federally recognized California Native American Tribes. The TAC meet with the Secretary of CalEPA and/or his designee, the heads of each CalEPA Board, Department and Office (BDOs), or their designees, the BDO Tribal Liaisons, at least quarterly each calendar year.
CalEPA Seeking Nominations for Two Openings on Tribal Advisory Committee
CalEPA is seeking applications from California Tribal governments to fill two openings to serve on our TAC, for a two-year term. CalEPA reimburses each Committee member for travel and lodging expenses to and from Committee meetings. On occasion, and when feasible, Committee members may also host quarterly meetings on their respective Tribal lands. Through the years since the inception of the Tribal Advisory Committee, CalEPA has gained invaluable experience in actively pursuing the State’s joint sovereign interest with Tribes to safeguard and protect the State’s precious resources for the benefit of current and future generations.
Please send all nominations by July 31, 2018. You may forward the nominations to the following mailing address:
Special Assistant for Environmental Justice and Tribal Affairs, CalEPA
P.O. Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95812-2815
Or via email to Malinda.Dumisani@calepa.ca.gov.
For Those Tribes Interested in Submitting a Nomination: Please review the Solicitation letter and the Charter on the links below. Nominations should include the name, title, affiliation, contact information, and reasons for the nomination to the CalEPA Tribal Advisory Committee. Please include the candidate’s expertise in working on environmental issues and duration of time the candidate has served in this capacity.
The members of the CalEPA Tribal Advisory Committee are the following:
- Chairperson: Sarah Ryan, Big Valley Band of Pomo Indians
- Vice-Chair: Harry Williams, Bishop Paiute Tribe
- Secretary: Crystal Robinson, Quartz Valley Indian Reservation
- Member: Clifford Batten, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
- Alternate: Chris Manzano, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
- Member: Dore Bietz, Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians of the Tuolumne Rancheria
- Member: Linda D. Otero, Fort Mojave Indian Tribe
- Alternate: Nora McDowell, Fort Mojave Indian Tribe
- August 1-2, 2018 Meeting Agenda – Bishop Paiute Tribe area, Tribal Chambers, 50 Tu Su Lane, Bishop, CA 93514
- April 24-25, 2018 Meeting Agenda– Fort Mojave Indian Tribe’s tribal lands, 10000 Aha Macav Pkwy, Laughlin, NV 89029
- December 12-13, 2017 Meeting Agenda (.pdf, 61kB) – Sacramento, CA
The CalEPA TAC had a joint meeting with the CalEPA Agency Secretary and the Heads of the CalEPA BDOs.
Helpful Resources for Tribes from Previous TAC Meetings: