In August and September 2014, CalEPA, OEHHA and the Air Resources Board conducted three public workshops and held a written comment period to receive input on how CalEPA should identify communities as disadvantaged. Several methods were presented at the public workshops. As a result of requests made at the workshops, we have made the following data available. Written comments were accepted through the Air Resources Board website.
- Presentation about CalEnviroScreen (PDF) and how disadvantaged communities might be designated using CalEnviroScreen data.
- Approaches to Identifying Disadvantaged Communities (PDF): This report discusses five methods for identifying disadvantaged communities using CalEnviroScreen data on pollution burden and population characteristics in communities throughout California.
- Summary table (PDF) comparing the five methods on how disadvantaged communities might be designated.
- Summary document (PDF) containing the figures and maps for each of the five methods on how disadvantaged communities might be designated.
- Map results: Google Earth files have been created to view areas that would be identified as disadvantaged by each of the five different methods. (This file can be opened using the free Google Earth application to view results in map format. Google Earth may be downloaded here.) Note: This file will download via GoogleDocs.
- Method 1 – Top Scores (Combined Pollution Burden and Population Characteristics)
- Method 2 – Top Scores for Pollution Burden Only
- Method 3 – Top Scores for Population Characteristics Only
- Method 4 – Top Scores Using Equal Cutpoints for Pollution Burden and Population Characteristics
- Method 5 – High and Medium-High Score Categories
Environmental Justice Links
- Environmental Justice Home
- EJ Small Grants Funding -- Oportunidades de Pequeños Subsidios y Financiamiento para Justicia Medio Ambiental
- EJ Small Grant Recipients
- CA Climate Investments for
- Outreach & Engagement Activities
- EJ Task Force
- EJ Publications
- Subscribe to EJ Listserv
- EJ Contacts
- EJ Calendar - CalEPA Sponsored Activities