For Immediate Release: January 17, 2020
Contact: Malinda Dumisani (916) 445-9480
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The California Environmental Protection Agency is now accepting applications for the Environmental Justice Small Grants Program.
At least $1 million will be available during this funding cycle to eligible community-based nonprofit groups and federally recognized tribal governments, to support environmental justice-related projects across California. The maximum grant amount is $50,000 and the grant term is 12 months.
“Communities that face persistent environmental stress are especially vulnerable to climate-related changes and impacts,” said Secretary for Environmental Protection Jared Blumenfeld. “Our EJ Small Grants Program is focused this year on building resilience to climate change and other pollution-related impacts through community-led solutions.”
Grants under this program will be awarded on a competitive basis. CalEPA will prioritize projects that increase participation in environmental decision making at the state and local level, that promote community resilience, and contribute to the following objectives:
- Improving access to safe and clean water
- Mitigating, responding, and adapting to climate change impacts through developing and implementing community led solutions
- Promoting pollution preventing and resource conservation
- Reducing exposure to toxic pesticides and other chemicals
- Building community capacity and strengthening collaborations with schools and local government to address cumulative pollution burdens and to uplift community knowledge
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 17, 2020. CalEPA plans to announce the grant awards in June 2020.
To obtain an application package, please visit CalEPA’s Environmental Justice Small Grants Program webpage.
Applications can also be requested by writing to: California Environmental Protection Agency, Office of the Secretary, Attn: Malinda Dumisani, EJ Small Grants Program, P.O. Box 2815, Sacramento, CA 95812 – 2815; by emailing Malinda.Dumisani@calepa.ca.gov; or by calling (916) 445-9480.
Funds for this program are provided by the boards, departments and office within CalEPA. The CalEPA EJ Small Grants Program was established by Assembly Bill 2312 (Chu, Chapter 994, Statutes of 2002) to provide grants to eligible nonprofit organizations and federally recognized tribal governments. Since its inception, the program has awarded 180 grants totaling $5.3 million.
• California Air Resources Board • Department of Pesticide Regulation • Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) • Department of Toxic Substances Control • Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment • State Water Resources Control Board • Regional Water Quality Control Boards
CalEPA, 1001 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 • P.O. Box 2815, Sacramento, CA 95812 • (916) 323-2514 www.calepa.ca.gov